My grandfather passed away in 1971. 43 years later and grandma still gets a twinkle in her eye when she talks about him. They had 8 children before he died of cancer.
My parents married for 45 years and still, they do everything as a team. Every decision made always with the other in their mind. 45 years and I never was able to have a dessert or 10 more minutes awake unless I ‘asked my mother’ or ‘asked my father’.
1981. The year I met my soul’s mate. I remember feeling connected to Roland as Mrs.Z commented on only our names as she called us for attendance. ‘Row-Row-Roland down the river’ and Jenn ‘choo-choo Train’. Years flew by and fate tried to connect us several times; same limo at Senior Prom, blocks away from each other, same hang outs…
So how did we know it was right? When you are searching for someone that you can fill your heart with, how do you know when you’ve found them?
Here are 5 distinct signs:
1. Of course you should have some aligned likes and hobbies. But there should be something new that you teach each other.. And that thing should feel good and be healthy for the two of you. I dated someone once that had a drinking problem. That’s not the kind of shared hobby I’m talking about here.
2. Do you remember that song, ‘it’s in his kiss’? Well, it certainly is. There needs to be a spark… Deep down in your belly… When your lips touch. I’ll never forget talking to this guy on the phone every day for months. We lived in different states but we had so many commonalities. When we met up to go to a football game together, he leaned in for a kiss. Whoa, it was like kissing my brother. I knew then it wasn’t right.
3. One of my favorite love quotes from A lot like Love: ‘If you’re not willing to look like an idiot, you don’t deserve to be in love.’ Not that you don’t deserve to be in love but maybe this is a sign that you’re not with the right one. Piggy-backing through the grocery store at 3 am to pick up Mac and cheese for an impromptu movie night and don’t care who’s staring? Chances are this one is a keeper.
4. You want to spend time with them. When you’re away from each other, you’re thinking about them. If something comes up that reminds you of them, you instantly smile, maybe even giggle. Giggling is a good sign that you’re on your way to falling in love.
5. They make you feel good about you. They are your biggest advocate and your greatest fan. They talk about you to others and they are proud of what you do and who you are. If they want you to meet their family and friends after 2 weeks, start picking out children’s names because this might be it!
Before I met Roland, I never noticed the trees. I didn’t appreciate nature. He showed me how to see the world through different eyes.
I believe there is someone out there for everyone… Actually, I think there are several somebodys for each person. There is someone who will bring out your silly and brag about you to their Aunt Nancy.
Start your search and if you’ve already found it, enjoy. ❤️